World
2026.05.22 02:53 GMT+8

Ebola case confirmed in M23-held eastern DR Congo amid outbreak fears

Updated 2026.05.22 02:53 GMT+8
CGTN Africa

A poster displaying an Ebola emergency contact number was displayed on a tent the Businga border crossing between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo in Bundibugyo, Uganda. /CFP

An Ebola case has been confirmed in an area of eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo controlled by the M23 armed group, raising fresh concerns over the spread of the deadly virus in a conflict-hit region.

M23 spokesperson Lawrence Kanyuka said Thursday that laboratory tests confirmed a positive Ebola case in South Kivu province, involving a 28-year-old man who had travelled from Kisangani in eastern DR Congo.

The patient later died before the diagnosis was confirmed, Kanyuka said, adding that burial procedures were conducted under strict health protocols.

The case was reported in Bukavu, the capital of South Kivu province, which fell under M23 control in February 2025 after renewed fighting between the rebels and Congolese government forces.

The outbreak comes as health authorities and international agencies struggle to contain Ebola amid insecurity and mass displacement in eastern DR Congo. The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the latest outbreak a public health emergency of international concern.

According to the agency's data, the current outbreak is the 17th Ebola outbreak recorded in the DR Congo and is already suspected to have caused 139 deaths so far among nearly 600 probable cases.

Health experts warn that the spread of Ebola into rebel-held areas could complicate response efforts, as ongoing conflict has limited humanitarian access and weakened disease surveillance systems.

Source(s): AFP
Copyright © 

RELATED STORIES