Our Privacy Statement & Cookie Policy

By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies, revised Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. You can change your cookie settings through your browser.

I agree

WHO, Africa CDC welcome allocation of Ebola vaccines to DRC

CGTN

The World Health Organization (WHO) and the Africa Centers for Disease and Prevention Control (Africa CDC) have welcomed the allocation of tens of thousands of doses of Merck's Ervebo Ebola vaccine to the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

The International Coordinating Group on Vaccine Provision (ICG) on Monday informed the DRC government of an immediate initial release of 70,000 doses, including 20,000 doses for a Phase 3 clinical trial to understand the impact of the vaccine on the Bundibugyo virus, and 50,000 doses for frontline and health workers.

Ervebo is licensed and recommended for preventing Ebola disease caused by the Zaire ebolavirus. However, there is currently no approved vaccine or treatment specifically for the Bundibugyo virus.

The WHO said it is not yet known whether Ervebo can protect humans against Bundibugyo, although early laboratory and animal studies suggest it may offer some protection. The clinical trial is expected to provide evidence that could guide future use of the vaccine against the virus.

"Africa CDC and WHO are united in support of the Government of the DRC, to protect affected communities, save lives and bring the Bundibugyo Ebola outbreak to an end, while generating the scientific evidence needed to strengthen Africa's preparedness for future outbreaks," said a statement by the two agencies released on Thursday.

Health authorities have reiterated that people receiving the vaccine must be informed about its potential risks, benefits and limitations and provide informed consent, particularly those participating in the clinical trial.

Government data shows that confirmed Ebola cases in the DRC have now surpassed 5,000, with the death toll reaching 2,378. The outbreak became the country's largest on record in late July, overtaking the previous worst epidemic recorded between 2018 and 2020.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said earlier this week that the outbreak remains a global emergency.

Search Trends